The Wildcat baseball complex is named in honor of longtime Carlisle resident Bob James. Bob’s ties to the game of baseball run deep in the town of Carlisle. In 1953, he was instrumental in bringing the first little league baseball teams to fruition in town. He coached his own sons, in addition to many others, on their little league teams for years and eventually enjoyed watching his grandsons go through the same program.
Bob was born on a farm south of Carlisle in 1923 and graduated from Carlisle High School in 1941. He played high school baseball all four years. In 1945, Bob married Virginia “Gini” Nowels, also a Carlisle High School graduate. They had both served their country in the army during WWII. In 1947, the couple started James Oil Company, which continues to be a prominent business in the city of Carlisle today. The company has sponsored a little league team every year since Bob started the league in town over 60 years ago.
Bob enjoyed watching both Carlisle baseball and softball over the years and was a great supporter of the kids. He loved the game of baseball and the values taught by the teamwork and effort involved. Much like the motto of the little league he started here in town, Bob is remembered and applauded for his “courage, character and loyalty.”
430 School Street Carlisle, Iowa 50047
Field is located on the north side of Highway 5, south of the high school.
Parking is available on the north side of the field/south of the high school off Wildcat Way.